On the banks of the Gardalar gully and between the Sierras of Calveira, Punta Barrena and San Miguel stands the village of Garde.
Its urban ensemble is on a par with those of the other villages in the valley and maintains the characteristics of typical Pyrenean architecture.
There is a huge walnut tree in the village centre which is considered a Natural Monument.
Church of Santiago
A Gothic-Renaissance building from the second half of the 16th century with a single nave with starred vaulting, a polygonal chancel and a high choir on a very low arch. Two side chapels, serving as transept arms, house reredos by Nicolás Pejón from the mid-16th-17th century. The main altarpiece, dedicated to St James, was commissioned from Juan de Baines in 1697 and gilted by Joaquín Suéscun.
A simple building on Mount Calveira, some three kilometres from the village, built in the 16th century and renovated in the 17th and 18th centuries. It has a Latin-cross floor plan with a nave in two sections with tierceron vaulting. The image of the Virgin to whom the chapel is dedicated is a 13th-century, Romanesque carving. There are also three reredos and a Baroque pulpit. Tradition has it that the image of Nuestra Señora de Zuberoa was found by a bull in 1569. When it was brought down to the village to build a chapel for it, it vanished, only to reappear once again up where it came from. Healer of the demonised, people from many valleys used to come to the chapel on pilgrimage.
Located in the village square, the hall was built at the end of the 19th century. It has three floors and a porch consisting of three arches on the ground floor.
Monument to Pedro Navarro, Count Oliveto
Located in the village park, the monument was made by the local sculptor Fructuoso Orduna.
Renovated, 17th-century, three-storey building. The doorway is a semicircular arch and the coat of arms between two rectangular windows on the second floor dates from the 18th century.
18th-century building with a semicircular arch and the village’s coat of arms.
At the entrance to the village.