Uztarroz, on the banks of the river whose name it shares, is the northernmost village in the Valley of Roncal and the last before you enter the neighbouring Valley of Salazar.
With a great livestock farming tradition, Uztárroz has one of the finest traditional village formations in the Navarrese Pyrenees. The Church of Santa Engracia, which has an organ dating from 1738, stands out from the other buildings.
The Gorge of Mintxate, an ideal place to take a walk and observe birds of prey, lies just outside the village.
Church of Santa Engracia
Built in the 16th century in the Gothic-Renaissance style with certain Isabelline Gothic decorative details. The church consists of a single nave with side chapels, forming a crossing, and a pentagonal chancel. The nave has starred vaulting and the transept arms have sexpartite vaulting. The choir at the opposite end of the church from the chancel has a wooden beam dating from 1591. The size of the tower, also opposite the chancel, is striking and the major feature inside is the Romanist main altarpiece by Juan de Huici. The organ, considered the finest Baroque organ in Navarre, was made by the master organ-maker from Pamplona Matías Rueda y Mañero in 1738, and is unique in that it is the only organ made by him that remains today just as he made it. With its exceptional piping and impressive Baroque casing, it is now in an outstanding state of repair following restoration work.
Chapel of Nuestra Señora del Patrocinio
Located opposite the village, quite high up alongside the cemetery, this chapel dates from the mid-18th century and consists of a simple nave with barrel vaulting on transverse arches. Outside, it has rendered walls with ashlar blocks on the corners and the semicircular-arch doorway bears the inscription “año 1756” (year 1756) on the keystone. Inside, the main altarpiece stands out for its iconography: the Virgin with a group of figures at prayer, who she protects beneath her cape.
This characteristic local building with rendered, painted walls has been greatly renovated over recent years. Inside, it houses the old schoolrooms.
This steep bridge with semicircular arch is on the way out of the village heading towards Izalzu.
Located in the part of the village called Ezpandoia, the façade of this house has a trabeated doorway with a beam carved with the Valley’s coat of arms in amongst elephants and an overhang resting on two double corbels.
Located next to the second bridge over the River Uztárroz, this is one of the most important houses in the village. The Valley of Roncal coat of arms is emblazoned on the façade. The house still has an old Roncal kitchen with a cone-shaped chimney that takes up the entire ceiling, a horse-drawn carriage and a painting by the Navarrese artist Basiano.
The carved, wooden, two-leaf door depicting typical Roncal scenes, such as the Tribute of the Three Cows, timber rafts, Gayarre’s Mausoleum, transhumance and cheese, is more than eye-catching.